Monday, July 09, 2007

It's All in the Timing

Well, this begins week 2 of joblessness. It's funny, because last week hardly really counts at all, what with Independence Day smack dab in the middle of the week. At the most, I've only been out of work four days. Whatever: It feels longer for some reason. I'm just someone who needs to keep busy. If I have too much time on my hands I tend to ponder, and dwell, and glower. And considering that I feel I have some grievances against some folks that are justified, glowering leads to frustration and anger and the desire to say things that are probably best not said, all in all.

Arrgh.

Well, I do have an interview in the morning, and I have already been contacted by a friend who was called for a reference for said interview. Considering this reference came from my true blue friend Joanie, I am sure she told this guy that when I'm not walking on water I'm also a funny guy, and a great dresser as well. All completely true, of course, but it's nice to hear anyhow.

And I'm getting traction on several other prospects as well -- things are moving in the right direction, at least. I just wish they'd move a bit more quickly. I'd really love to nail down another interview or two before I leave town on Wednesday.

Yup, leaving town. Just for a long weekend -- heading to the 12th Annual All Tang Soo Do International Championships up in Warwick, Rhode Island for a weekend of training, mingling with fellow martial artists, and forms and sparring competition. Flying solo on the particular trip -- I want to check out just how the event is run before committing to bring the entire family. So, it will probably be a bit of a party weekend as a result -- which is fine. I think I could use the opportunity to just sort of derail myself for a few days. And should an prelim interview opportunity present itself I will have my cell phone and will not exactly be out of touch. So, all in all, aside from having to watch just how much cash I blow running around, it should be fairly cool weekend.

What sucks, though, is that the day after I get back Christine and the kids are flying out to North Carolina. For TWO WEEKS. Talk about crappy timing for both my little solo jaunt and their long-term getaway. As a result, I'm not going to see my family for the majority of this entire month. I'm fine with a few days on my own, but after 3 or 4 days I always tend to fall into a sort of displaced torpor. I don't sleep well, andf I get very restless just kicking around the house by myself. This, combined with my current out-of-work state, could be a particularly nasty combination, and I'm really not looking forward to it. If I'm not looking at a serious jab opportunity within the next week I'm going to have to cook up a few home improvement projects, just to keep from going insane. Maybe it's time to finally take on painting the bedroom. And the family room. And the kitchen.

We'll see. It'll be the cheapest way to burn up time, that's for sure, and would definitely be healthier than sitting around, twiddling my thumbs and digesting my stomach lining, waiting for the phone to ring.

-=-

Anyhow, I've been working my forms like crazy in preparation for the upcoming tournament. I don't really have high hopes of coming back with a medal or trophy or whatever. There's a commonly held belief that we TSDMGKers from Texas get the short end of the stick when it comes to judging at events in the Northeast -- the majority of the judges up there know the NE-based competitors well, and I'm sure it results in somewhat preferential judging patterns, intentional or otherwise. But regardless, I'm going to give it my best shot.

I feel my Chil Sung Il Rho has really finally become something I can be proud of -- I feel comfortable in it, and I think it finally has a nice dramatic ebb and flow, with some nicely controlled transitions for "hard" to "soft" throughout. It also isn't leaving me feeling like I got hit by a bus when I'm done performing it, which I imagine is an indication that my stamina has improved, or that my performance of the form is less forced and more relaxed, or (most likely) some combination of the two.

Meanwhile, I think my Pyang Ahn O Dan has really hit a nice level of tension and power -- fast transitions, but with good, crisp starts and stops, giving the whole thing a good solid, methodical, and forceful feeling. As long as I don't let the stress of the competition cause me to freeze up I am certain my performances will show the preparation and focus I've put into them, regardless of whether this results in a medal or not.

Mood: Slightly Perturbed
Now Playing: Enya, "Shepherd Moons"

No comments: