Wednesday, September 15, 2004

It rubs the lotion on its skin...

OK, this is one of the funniest, most demented little things I've run across ont he web in a LOOONNNNNGGGGGG time:

Lotion, by the Greens Keepers
.

Big Quicktime clip, folks, so you might want to avoid clicking if you're on dial-up. But it's worth the download time.

Not much going on in my world right now. Having lunch with my daughter at her school today, which should be fun. Work is pretty damn slow: some small label artwork designs to do, a couple of tiny little documentation pieces, and a user-expereience oriented but of competitive analysis on a competitor's product to plug away at, but otherwise it's mostly chill-out-and-keep-house time for me right now.

Not that this is a bad thing. Far from it. It just makes the days feel pretty long.

Trying to figure out what's going on with Orkut vs. .node and the various folks I've connected with via Orkut right now. It looks like everyone has abandoned Orkut, en masse, but I never heard about any sort of group Orkutcide plan. Personally, I'm fine with abandoning Orkut, as long as everyone will be over on .node -- for the time being, .node doesn't seem to have the problems that Orkut encountered with scaling. It probably will get there eventually, but for now it's working pretty well. Honestly, I think Orkut is better designed from a user point of view. When it works, that is. And since one of the most important aspects of a social network would apper to be being able to get on and socialize at will, Orkut's tremendously frustrating stability and responsiveness problems seem to have really crossed a lot of folks patience thresholds.

Anyway, if any of my Orkut pals are reading, here, please leave a comment letting me know what's the what. I'm just trying to figure out whether I should bother allocating any time to checking Orkut from here on out, or if I need to start reorienting my online social life to .node.

Mood: Mellow
Now Playing: Duran Duran, "Astronaut"

2 comments:

Ray said...

Re: Orkut v. .Node. Actually, I'm taking a break from both of them for the few weeks/month/whatever. I even handed my passwords over to a trusted escrow person (note: this means NOT Karl) so that I'm not tempted in a moment of boredom to check in.

The drama going on there between various groups of friends was starting to spill over too much into my real life, so it was time to take a break.

That being said, I had pretty much given up on Orkut because it was so impossible to use with the slowness and page errors. dotNode is fun, but it's mostly really inane silliness. And if dotnode ever becomes even a fraction of the size of Orkut, it's going to keel over in an equally spectacular fashion.

If Orkut ever decides to re-architect their system in a scalable fashion and relaunch it, then I'll play there. If not, then I'll play on dotnode.

But for right now, I'm getting reacquainted with the real world.

Lee said...

I haven't been on Orkut (or Oh, Fuck! as I call it) in a couple of months now...never really made a big impression on me. .node? I know i got a few invites from Orkut friends for another system to join and I did but {I don't recall the name. Is that the same one you're referring to, I wonder? I prefer tribe.net(apparently, not a Karl-approved place) anyway and spend time daily there.